Altar Society Established

1017

1924


Every parish at some point establishes organizations to assist with its various ministries and our own St. Anthony Parish was not any different. The first two organizations that were established were the Altar Society for the ladies (1921), and the Society of the Holy Name (1924) for the gentlemen in the parish.

 
Altar Society

A Ladies Altar Society was organized in 1921. The purpose of the Altar Society was mainly for the upkeep of all things relating to the celebration of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass at the altar. Throughout Father Kubelbeck’s tenure as a pastor, the Altar Society remained very active and helpful in seeing to it that the altar and its tabernacle was the most important place in Allouez while enhancing and suitably equipping it for God’s service.

When items were too worn and torn, they were burned, so that anything having been used in honoring our Lord would not be mistreated or trampled. The ladies also saw to it that the tabernacle canopeum was changed to the proper color related to the seasonal liturgical calendar. They were also responsible for keeping the white top altar cloth clean and unsoiled by changing it when needed, as well as, the corporals used at the altar to catch particles of the consecrated hosts and/or drops of wine. The altar cloths were treated with the utmost respect and reverence for they could contain the Body and Blood of Our Lord.

The first officers of the Altar Society were Mrs. J. Powels, president; Mrs. M.C. Williams, vice-president; Mrs. Frank Want, treasurer and Mrs. A.J. Pelletier, secretary.

In July 1924, the young ladies’ Sodality was organized under the title of the Immaculate Conception.

Advertisements