Home > Human Needs & Concerns, The Bonds of Unity (1917-1925) > Holy Name Society Organized

Holy Name Society Organized

1017

1924


The Society of the Holy Name was organized in 1924. Three years later the Junior Holy Name Society, consisting of boys from 14 to 18 was organized.

The primary purpose of the society was to beget due love and reverence for the Holy Name of God and Jesus Christ. Adult males of the parish who joined made reparations, in particular, against blasphemy, perjury and immorality.

Members of the society assisted in parish ministries by performing the Corporal Works of Mercy: to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, give drink to the thirsty, shelter to the homeless, tend the sick, visit those in prison, and bury the dead; as well as the Spiritual Works of Mercy: to convert sinners, instruct the ignorant, counsel the wayward, comfort the sorrowing, bear adversity patiently, forgive offenses, and pray for the living and the dead.

The Society’s first officers were Mr. N.P. Archambeau, president; Mr. Archie Jaques, secretary; Mr. James Murray, treasurer.

The St. Anthony Holy Name Society was very active in the parish for many years since, and had the distinction of being the first active Holy Name Society in the Diocese of Superior.

 

Advertisements