Home > Faith Formation, The Early Years of the School (1925-1930) > The Grand Opening of the School

The Grand Opening of the School

1016

Fall 1925


A group of school girls from St. Anthony in 1925.

The school opened on September 14, 1925 with 98 students enrolled in grades three to six. The following year, when the other four grades were added, the school’s enrollment increased to 152.

The new school was dedicated October 25, 1925 by Bishop Joseph G. Pinten (1922-1926), with the clergy of the city also present for the occasion. Father Francis Bertram delivered the dedication sermon.

Indeed, the day provided a great sense of satisfaction for the parishioners of Ss. Anthony and Margaret Parish. In just a little over a decade following the foundation of the parish, they were able to look back at their humble beginnings while observing the fruits of their patience, hard work and perseverance. The church, the rectory, and the school were all made possible by their generosity and willing cooperation.

School Enrollment over the years:

1926 – 98 students
1927 – 150 students taught by 4 sisters ($1,250); $125 utilities; $9.16/student
1928 – 181 students
1929 – 184 students

1930 – 208 students
1931 – 181 students
1932 – 156 students
1933 – 173 students
1934 – 161 students
1935 – 144 students
1936 – 130 students
1937 – 119 students taught by 4 sisters ($1,375); $130 utilities; $12.74/student
1938 – 118 students
1939 – 119 students

1940 – 132 students
1941 – 122 students
1942 – 121 students
1943 – 130 students
1944 – 147 students
1945 – 150 students
1946 – 139 students
1947 – 147 students taught by 4 sisters ($1,685); $137 utilities; $12.39/student
1948 – 157 students
1949 – 149 students

1950 – 150 students
1951 – 151 students
1952 – 145 students
1953 – 138 students
1954 – 144 students
1955 – 144 students
1956 – 141 students
1957 – 137 students taught by 4 sisters ($2,000); $237 utilities; $16.32/student
1958 – 142 students
1959 – 141 students

1960 – 138 students
1961 – 142 students
1962 – 136 students
1963 – 150 students
1964 – 147 students
1965 – 133 students
1966 – 151 students
1967 – 146 students taught by 3 sisters; 1 lay ($7,000); $720 utilities; $52.88/student
1968 – 120 students taught by 3 sisters; 1 lay ($8,500); $700 utilities; $96.84/student
1969 – 95 students

Advertisements