Home > Growth of the Parish Following the War (1945-1962) > The Trip from Allouez to Itasca

The Trip from Allouez to Itasca

1014

1949


photo11
 
St. Anthony School and the steeple of the old church which was torn down in 1958 can be seen in the distance.

St. Anthony School and the steeple of the old church (which was torn down in 1958) can be seen in the distance.

In 1949 road construction for a modern two lane highway (which in later years would itself be replaced by four lanes) began on the stretch of road that connected Allouez and Itasca over Bluff Creek. The old bridge over the creek (which is shown in the picture above) was originally built for horse and foot traffic. It was later reinforced for automobiles. At the time, the Bluff Creek valley had three railroads running near it. The railroad in the foreground of the photo above (known to locals as the Omaha) went to the grain elevator. The one in the background went to the coal dock. Both have been torn down.

tworailroadsBetty Heytens recalls how as a young girl living in Itasca, she would ride her bike to St. Anthony & Margaret Catholic Church and to school over the old creek bridge up the hill. The DeBock family did not own a car at that time. The boys in the photo are Betty’s cousins.

Advertisements