St. Anthony Fish Fry Begins

1008

1991


Richard Nelson, left and Mark Amys
prepare the Alaskan pollack. (Click to enlarge)

Background

During Fridays of Lent continuing to the present day, the St. Anthony Fish Fry serves both deep fried and baked Alaskan pollack, homemade coleslaw, green beans, baked or mashed potatoes, roll, desert, and beverage. Not only does the fish fry help pay bills, over the years it has helped bring parishioners together.

The fundraiser originated in the 1970’s when the Knights of Columbus sponsored the weekly Lenten meal at their dining facility.

 

Annette Minter, foreground assisting her mother Bernadette Amys
as they prepare mashed potatoes. (Click to enlarge)

Fish Fry Moved to St. Anthony

When the KC club closed in 1991, the fish fry moved to St. Anthony Church where Knights and Larry Archambeault served 80 people that first year.

In 1995, Larry turned the reigns over to his nephew
Mark (and Michael) Amys, and their six children (Elizabeth, Nicholas, Laura, Steven, Mary Beth, and Adam) who all attended Cathedral School. Mark’s mom, Bernadette, and sister Annette Minter, and aunt Adele Archambeault also contributed their time and skills in preparing the dinner. Each year the parish could also count on many volunteers who made the dinner a success.

By 2000 the parish was serving about 275 people a week. Mark and his family continued to the Fish Fry every year until 2012.

Over the years, the fish fry proved to be the major fundraiser of the parish. Revenue helped pay tuition subsidy for city children attending Cathedral School. Funds also paid for much needed exterior church remodeling.

Advertisements